Friday, October 20, 2006

Not for the faint of heart

I warn you, this post is not for the faint of heart.

I was going to the bathroom in the bathroom that is attached to our bedroom. I'll try to avoid any specifics, but I was standing there (man thing) and one of the largest spiders I have ever seen starts crawling around the bowl. I nearly wet myself - which was hard, since I was already going to the bathroom. Once the opportunity arose, I started jumping up and down screaming like a girl in a teenage horror film. In the epic battle that proceeded, I managed to throw rolled up toilet paper at the spider from a distance (because I was pretty sure it could jump onto my face and bite me or something), and knock it into the water. I immediately flushed the toilet to wash down this flesh eating mutant, but it didn't work. The spider remained.

After several other technics, I found toilet bowl cleaning solution, and I cleaned the spider to death. I am not proud of this fact. But I did win, and that is what mattered at the time.

Since then, we have run into many more spiders. It is "spider season" to quote a local. Since kelli and i shreak and squirm when we see them, we have proceeded to just put glasses on top of them until one of the women from here can take care of them. There is evidently a gene in Scottish women that allows them to pick up large spiders and throw them outside. It all wigs me out. Anyway, there are several glasses which often stay around the house for several days. We named one Alfred, but he is gone now. We didn't get any pictures of the really big ones, we were too busy hiding, but here are some pictures for those who think they can handle the horror.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

4 Comments:

At 7:06 PM, Blogger TJ said...

Tim's all cool right now. "Those are just normal brown spiders, they won't hurt you." Whatever, Texas boy.

I, on the other hand, am shuttering, squirming, and screaming just at the pictures. God bless you, Strobels. That is completely nasty.

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Alison Strobel Morrow said...

HOLY COW! Those things are SICK!

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Mirtika said...

I think I just changed my mind about visiting Aberdeen.

I'm such an insect wuss.

Mir<--who lives in a state with giant, flying--yes, FLYING--roach things. That's just wrong.

 
At 12:52 AM, Blogger Tracy said...

I love that the natives are proclaiming it "Spider Season". That shouldn't be allowed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home