Thursday, October 12, 2006

Ergonomically Responsible Silverware

There is a real sense where we need to be ergonimically reponsible. I have no idea if I am spelling that right, but if it is ok I will just proceed. Something I have noticed lately, within the last 6 months, is that restaurants are growing more and more ergonomically irresponsible with their silverware. I think there should be a scale for ergonomic responsible silverware (the ERS Scale), not unlike the richter scale, but not like it either. Take for instance the silverware offered to us the other night.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is a 4 out of a 10 on ergonomic responsibility. First, anytime a fork is that much larger than a wine glass there is an automatic 3 point reduction. I want to eat my food not spear it. There is a sense as well where I want to be somewhere near my food, and not feel like I am using some kind of shovelling mechanism to eat. That being said, this was much better than a place kelli and I ate at in Del Mar. The place in del mar received a 1.4 on the scale. Their silverware was extremely handle heavy, and even worse, bottom heavy as well. Imagine with me a knife where 85% of the weight is in the last inch of the handle. Now imagine setting that knife on your plate. What happens? The knife slides down and springs whatever food it may be in contact with up in the air and in your face. Terrible.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with Aberdeen really, other than the fact that we have used a lot of silverware that would rank highly on the ERS. Soup spoons for instance are very useful. In any case, let us all band together to form an allegiance for ergonical responsibility among the restaurant owning community.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home