Monday, October 09, 2006

North of Moscow

Our random Aberdonian fact of the day is that we are north of Moscow. I never imagined that I would live north of Moscow, but now that I am doing so, it comes with some odd experiences.

Today, for instance, Kelli and I tried Mexican food. Why, you may ask, would we ever try Mexican food in the UK? But before any jokes get told about Scotland cuisine, may I say that Kelli and I have had some incredible food while we are here - the soups, breads, and meat have all been very good. But nonetheless, we wanted a taste of home, so we had Mexican. All in all, the food wasn't half bad, and except for one key element it all tasted great. The problem was the tortilla chips. Tortilla chips, to the all the mexican fans out there, are a key part of the diet - at least in the Americanized version of the diet. What was specifically odd about these particular chips though was the thick layer of salt on all the chips. We're not talking about the kind of salt you sprinkle on food, but the thick and congealed salt that usually goes on the rims of margaritta glasses. For your viewing entertainment, we took a picture.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Anyway, all in all, we are getting settled into the Aberdonian lifestyle. I am still waiting for my office at the college, and once that is figured out things will finally settle into place. For now, I have to go get ready for my German and Latin classes which start tomorrow.

2 Comments:

At 9:09 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

Hi Kelli,

Thanks so much for finding my blog! I really appreciated your comment and I feel encouraged by your empathy. :)

I will bookmark your blog and look forward to checking in often to read about your and Kyle's adventures in Aberdeen.

Stay warm up there, north of Moscow, and be sure to drink plenty of water with all those salty chips!

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger TJ said...

I'm so glad that 1. my husband did not tell me about your recent emails and 2. he just this morning told me about your blog. But I've spent the last 20 minutes catching up, so I'm good now. I'm so glad to see that ya'll are taking lots of pictures of signs; that was one of my favorite things over there. Straaaange signs. Miss ya and love yas!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home