Sunday, April 20, 2008

Day Off

Well, it has been a while since I have blogged. It has also been a while since I have done much of anything other than photocopying and reading, so I thought it was time for a break. Kelli and I decided to explore a bit of Connecticut, so I will walk you through our little adventure. Before we start, I would like to add that it was around 82 degrees all day long here, which was a bit of an improvement from the 40s and 50s leading up to it. It looks like Spring is finally here, and it has burst forth into Summer already!

Getting started then, first, we went to Kent, CT - as something of a tribute to our friend Kent.

Kent has a House of Books, which I was inevitably drawn to and incredibly disappointed in - but Kent made up for it with a really cool used book store. I almost bought a book on discipleship from 1835, but decided not to. I would like to note the incredible self-control....(you may use the time provided by this ellipsis to actually make a note if you would like).


Kent reminds me a bit of Door County, for all of you mid-west folks. It was one of those places with great scenery, a lot of art and antique dealers, and some random stuff thrown about. The most random were probably the animal sculptures everywhere, which Kelli and I felt the need to pose with.



In Kent, we went to Stroble's Bakery, and decided to stop for a bite to eat, and see if they would make me their king. They didn't make me their king, but did make us some great soup. For those of you who don't know Strobel lore, the name comes from a town in Austria called Strobl. In order to make this look a lot less awkward when they came stateside, the Strobl clans threw in an "e" arbitrarily - as something of an anti-ebonic move. Some threw the "e" in before the "l", as my forebears, and some after as this particular clan did. On something of a side note off of the already tangential comments being made, rumor has it that "Strobl" meant something like "one whose hair stands on end" (which ironically mine does), but was probably meant to portray something like "town idiot." I think this picture helps represent that.

Look at how proudly I bear the name!



Next, we made our way to Litchfield, or what has become popularly known as vonlichtensteinburgvilletown by the Strobl clan with the "e" before the "l". It was a great little town with some really cool churches. We couldn't find the date on this one, but it doesn't exactly look new.


This was another major church in town and was from 1721. It is still a fully functioning congregational church, which makes me wonder if my boy Johny E(dwards) was every in the pulpit here. But I digress.




All in all it was a much needed break from all of the craziness going on around here. It was interesting as well how much this area reminded us of the highlands. Kind of crazy.

2 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Blogger George said...

My hair stands on end as well. Or at least what is left of it. :(

 
At 4:09 AM, Blogger Alison Strobel Morrow said...

Wow, fun pictures! And hey, thnks for the video. Abby and I watched it today, and she was SO excited to see you guys. Get this: she was playing and then, out of nowhere, she said, "Where is Kelli and Kyle?" I said you were far away and she said, "I miss them!" How cute is that!? So I said you had sent a video, and when we watched it, she would bounce like crazy in her seat every time you guys appeared. "It's Kelli!" "It's Kyle!" *bounce bounce bounce*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home