Saturday, October 03, 2009

Curry Night

One of the first food realities you are hit with when moving to the UK is that Indian food is as central to their diet as Mexican food is to ours. You often here, "Lets go for a curry," when someone wants to go out to eat, or instead of a pizza night at church you often have a "curry night." I, as you can probably imagine, have been slow to take up the curry mantel. Admittedly, we started making some korma chicken at home, which is the standard meal for the non-curry-baptized.

But, after enjoying korma for many months, I decided to take the next step and actually order "real" curry. Now, this might sound a lot more impressive than it is, but for me, all it meant was ordering korma in rather than making from a jar. But I had three korma options, which was a bit distressing, and went with the one that sounded less weird than the others.

To take this plunge, we carried out from Blue Moon:



They always throw in these poppadoms which people dip into chutney or whatever else. They weren't bad.



We had the curry with our friends Alister and Renee (secretly trying to spur on her pregnancy with curry - a common cure), and here is Al with my favorite part of curry - naan bread. Naan is so good.



Naan is so good in fact that I had to put on my tearing-naan-face.



So here was our curry: a little rice, some chutney (I'm afraid of chutney, mostly because it is called chutney, so I stayed away), chicken, veg, and of course, naan...mmmmmmmm.

4 Comments:

At 6:16 PM, Blogger Alison Strobel Morrow said...

Kyle, I am so impressed you took the curry plunge. I never had the guts, mostly because I didn't even get what it was until just before I came home. so hey, what did you think of it? (And did Renee benefit?!)

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger Leslie Strobel said...

Mmmmmmm...curry

Another meal request for April.

Dad can have Chinese!

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I don't think the curry urged on the pregnancy any, but what's funny, there was no actual curry in my curry. Curry is the catch-all word for Indian food. If you see any out there in the store, just get a bottle of Korma. You just saute chicken in it and eat it with naan bread. SO GOOD.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Kyle, if you ever feel brave enough, try a Chicken Tikka Masala. It's another popular curry dish although it was actually invented in Glasgow! I would say that it is just one step up from a Korma...well, depending on where you get it from :p Hope all is well with you both and go forth and embrace other curries!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home