Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Castle Stalker

Kelli and I stopped over at the lookout over Castle Stalker. They had recently (I believe) added a nice gift shop and cafe, and so we had some coffee and did a bit of reading/journaling. There are a couple of interesting facts about Castle Stalker: First, I have been here before.

Almost 12 years to the month Alison and I took a long bus, and then another bus, and then hiked out to Castle Stalker. Why Castle Stalker, an almost unheard of castle with no significant history or tours? The answer to that question is also our second interesting fact: Castle Stalker was the castle in Monte Python and the Holy Grail with all of the virgins...and I wanted to see it. I didn't have a lot planned for my trip to Scotland after my Freshman year of College, but that was high up on my list.

Rather than hiking down some odd country road chasing sheep, Kelli and I were able to enjoy the view from afar. Alison and I realized when we arrive 12 years ago, after our long travels, that Castle Stalker is in the middle of a loch, hence the new lookout point. This time was a bit more satisfying.




They had a great little cafe there with some good coffee and nice views. Kelli and I grabbed a seat by the window and enjoyed some of the afternoon rain from indoors.



Oddly, Castle Stalker is still privately owned and is even livable (in the back portion). How would you like to live there? Random.

2 Comments:

At 11:01 PM, Blogger The Green Family said...

You guys are sure rockin' and rollin' on the blogs lately! Wow! It's been very fun to check and see a new post up almost every single day! Looks like you had such a great trip.

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger The Morrows said...

Haha--remember getting stuck in Oban and running around from hotel to hotel looking for a room for the night? Who knew the Queen's birthday was everyone's favorite weekend for a quick getaway! I'm glad you and Kelli had a more relaxing visit. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home